SHELF PAPER

As I struggle to man-handle my new computer and learn the complicated process of downloading then FINDING photos (hence the infrequency of my postings lately) I have to ask, why am I doing this? Almost two years and 2,500 readers later, I get more emails from people desperate to think outside of the design box to find inexpensive, hip ways to update their old looks. So, while Mac works against me I'm constantly inspired by emails from people who want help from little old me. Take Monica, for example, a single Mom in Kansas who wanted a fresh, updated look for her drab office space. The twist. She, like many people today, didn't have a dime to spend on it. So I asked her to take a day to walk around her house...peek into the dark corners she'd ignored for years, search in the basement and attic for lost treasures and email me back. An old tin can wrapped in paper became a pen holder, an antique desk spray painted glossy white with outdoor furniture paint adds a sleek twist and for cool storage I told her to wrap plain, nasty book shelves in vintage wallpaper she found in her basement (cut the paper a bit larger than the shelf, apply with wallpaper glue and hang shelf as usual). If you want a new look but can't spend the cash, don't get down...look around!
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: Two days
COST: $0 (If you like the shelf look purchase floating shelves from Target, Ikea or West Elm and apply the same trick for a hip, modern, inexpensive look!)
STRESS LEVEL: Finding flowers in the attic: LOW

Popular Posts