CINCO DE MAYO

Cinco De Mayo commemorates Mexico's defeat of French forces at the battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862 where an out-numbered Mexican army kicked the derrieres of an undefeated, well-equipped French army. When I lived in Southern California, at least for this gringo, that meant raising a salt-rimmed glass at our favorite Tex-Mex restaurant to celebrate Mexican heritage and pride. On a small farm an hour north of Manhattan in Nueva York, however, the festive music, delicious drinks and bright candles seem a world away. 3,000 miles from my favorite watering hole and missing my compadres, I've decided to throw my own fiesta for under cinco dolares!
GET LIT:
While reminiscing about past celebrations I came up with a bright idea for cool candle holders. I have interesting, unused fabric all over our house...old pillow cases, ratty sweaters, discarded clothes, fabric swatches from overly-priced design stores...so I cut squares large enough to wrap around tumblers I purchased at an after Christmas sale at Crate and Barrel, sprayed them with starch and ironed them (to stiffen them up) and wrapped them around the glass, securing them with double stick tape. Now I'm going to whip up some of my favorite, homemade guacamole (2 ripe avocados, 1/2 cup minced onion, 1 jalapeno, 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, 2-3 tablespoons of fresh lime juice, salt to taste..mix it all up and there you have it!). Uno, dos, tres and you're finito!
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: 30 minutos
COST: Nada (Zero)
STRESS LEVEL: mas bajo!

Popular Posts