HEAD BORED

As we attack the tedious task of ripping down twenty-year-old moldy, stinky, dated, hideous wallpaper in our home, I've left Joe scratching his head as I search for new, trendy designs in wall coverings. The mere mention of wallpaper forces most to conjure up visuals of nursing homes, denture containers, shaggy carpet, The Brady Bunch and shimmering, glimmering God-awful 1970's designs. Like it or not, wallpaper is back bigger than ever! Last year when I suggested a client wallpaper his bedroom he questioned my mental state until he saw the results. Today, like melamine plates, orange Tupperware, Pyrex dishes, national geographic maps and Airstream trailers, I'm totally obsessed with my hunt for creative ways of designing with wallpaper. Bored with their mediocre design, a couple approached me to attack their problems in the bedroom head-on.
HEADS OR TAILS:
To turn heads in this drab space, I suggested an inexpensive, striking focal point; a wallpaper headboard. Using less than half a roll (you can find wallpaper anywhere these days, including the Home Depot and Lowes) I created a simple, modern, elegant headboard. Cut your pattern (it's best to make it 4" wider than the mattress to accommodate bedding), spread wallpaper glue on back with paintbrush and hang approximately four feet from the floor (varies with height of mattress, frame, etc.). You'll have a few seconds to tweak the location before the glue sets. In a few simple steps and little change out of pocket, you've created big change and guaranteed never to be bored again in bed!
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: One hour
COST: Roll of wallpaper $69 at www.brocadehome.com
STRESS LEVEL: Never bored with good headboard: LOW

Popular Posts