PAPER CUTS


I suffer from M.D.D...Multiple Design Disorder. When asked to describe my "style" I can't commit to just one. While I love the simplicity of a modernist blueprint, I adore the informality of a Farmhouse and find comfort in Colonial splendor. When choosing paint and fabric colors I lean towards a monochromatic palette even though I find an eclectic scheme appealing. I can design a dorm room for a unicorn-loving teenage girl or a boudoir for a Hollywood Diva and love them both equally. If asked to describe my own humble abode I would say it's a little Sanford & Son (I love my collections of Yellowware bowls, Fiestaware, Jadeite...) meets eclectic modernist country farmhouse. This weekend we attacked a small, yet tedious, project on our ever-growing list: the removal of wallpaper in our downstairs bathroom. While we haven't decided on a design scheme yet...I think stripes and bold colors for the small space, Joe thinks clean and simple...we did agree on one thing; The 20-year old, moldy, torn, dirty wallpaper had to go. We quickly learned that older wallpaper clings like crazy – to remove it you'll need a solution that penetrates the paper and softens the adhesive underneath. You probably won't get all the glue the first time, either. You'll need to go back and remove a few patches here and there, soaking each spot with some remover solution to soften it up and, if you're like me, you'll get a thousand paper cuts during the process. But, in the end, it's worth it!
GO AHEAD, STRIP!
The removing of wallpaper is by far one of the most unpleasant tasks in do it yourself home improvements. But, this handy little product makes the chore much, much easier. And, thanks to our 5-in-1 tool we were able to scrape the wallpaper fairly effortlessly. I've read countless blogs and design books about removing wallpaper and, here's the thing...while there are more ways than one to skin the paper, none of them are easy! First things first: grab a product like Zinsser's DIF Wallpaper stripper and a 5-in-1 tool. Score the wallpaper with the tool, spray wallpaper and let sit for fifteen minutes. Take a deep breath and dive in!
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: Three Hours
COST: $5.97 for Zinsser Dif Wallpaper stripper at the Home Depot
STRESS LEVEL: See the DIFerence in a few fast, easy steps: LOW

Popular Posts