BUREAUCRATIC BS

While I understand the purpose and function of a bureaucracy..the structure and set of regulations put in place to control certain activity, usually in large organizations or government...I'm frustrated with the Bureaucratic BS (Barn Systems) we are facing in the renovation of our barn. Just when I thought we'd dealt with our last group of annoying, self-righteous do-gooders on the west coast (members of the Pasadena planning board clearly worked my last nerve after dictating what color we could paint our house, how tall the fence could be, how and when to prune the trees, where our dogs could relieve themselves...) welcome to the country of upsate New York where land is precious and no one lets you forget it! As we move through the permit process at a snails pace with the cast of "Cocoon" sitting across from us I'm reminded of something my mother used to say when I was a kid; "practice your breathing Paul!" So, I'll take a deep breath and control the things I can, ignore those I can not, and enjoy the wisdom of knowing the difference.
TAKE THE CONTROLS:
The one thing I can do is keep on top of every part of this process. So, to help keep control of the piles of paperwork, I headed to Staples and purchased an expandable file folder. I've also spent a few minutes googling every possible thing the board could ask us about this property from where the water falls to where the deer drop...we're armed, ready and organized!
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: Ten minutes
COST: $5.99 at Staples (http://www.staples.com/)
STRESS LEVEL: Preparing for the bull by organizing my shi*t: LOW

Popular Posts