TILE & ERROR


A damsel in distress, Mary, emailed me back in October asking for advice on updating her guest bathroom (top photo..click to enlarge) without breaking the bank. She hated the tile (I disagree and suggested she remove the wallpaper, paint, purchase inexpensive towels, etc.) and was tired of waiting for her husbands assistance. Afraid to attack the project on her own (apparently her husband is still stuck to the Lazy Boy in her family room) she emailed me again today in desperation: "guests are arriving this weekend for THREE weeks and I can't stand my ugly guest bath!" Oh Mary...forget about the bathroom, THREE WEEKS? Yikes! Mary hates the tile but doesn't want to take the time or money to change it now so I've suggested an easy way to transform the space in an inexpensive, fast way: wainscoting. I've sent Mary photos of exactly what she needs to attack this project. Without removing the tile, we'll simply add a layer of wainscoting over the existing space. Don't worry, Mary, I have faith in you....follow these simple steps and I'm sure you'll love the results!
IN JUST A LITTLE WHILE, HIDE YOUR TILE!
1.) Both the Home Depot and Lowe's sell pre-painted sheets of wainscoting. I've suggested Mary purchase a few sheets (take dimensions from floor to top of tile) and anchor them to the wall with the quick, simple addition of 2x8 pieces of plywood.
2.) Nail 2x8 1/2 inch above tile line (so you don't damage tile in case someday you want to remove) and below on the baseboard.
3.) Nail wainscoting to top and bottom.
4.) Add trim to top with finishing nails.
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: Approx. 3 hours
COST: Less than $50.00
STRESS LEVEL: We'll ask Mary but should be low!

Popular Posts