RED STATE


While watching the Vice Presidential debates last night (and contemplating a move to Canada) I couldn't believe that in 2008 we are still talking about what two consenting adults do behind closed doors! Aren't there bigger issues facing us today? Terrorism? The War? Global warming? The economy? I quickly talked myself off the ledge (our house is only two stories anyway, so a jump would only result in a twisted ankle). After all I, too, judge what people do in the bedroom. A lovely married couple called on me this week to help straighten up their mess. While they have the right to marry, they certainly don't have the right (in my opinion) to live the way they were. Feeling blue about their situation, I stepped in to lend a hand in the bedroom. While red wouldn't be my first choice for a bedroom (typically warmer portions of the color spectrum like reds, oranges and yellows cater to our social side and should be used in rooms where you gather and entertain. Red, believe it or not, stimulates appetite and conversation...unless that's what you want in your bedroom...no judgements!!) I wanted them to exercise their right to choose, so while I didn't totally agree with their decision, I wanted to make them happy. They wanted a red bedroom and I wanted to support their wishes.
WELL RED:
The couple hadn't attacked this project because they felt overwhelmed by the mess. I told them not to focus on the giant pile, but the tiny things that helped create it. One by one we dealt with the mess. Tossed things they didn't need, donated items others could use and set things aside we could place back in the room. I brightened things up a bit by painting a fresh coat of Benjamin Moore's "holly berry," added a few sconces, placed the bed on the opposite wall and a mirror on one wall to reflect light and open up the space.
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: One day
COST: Paint $38.00, new carpet from Home Depot $150.00, lamps from Lamps plus: $100.00
STRESS LEVEL: Red and White but not feeling Blue: LOW

Popular Posts