JACK-O-LANTERNS

This is, by far, my favorite time of year. I love everything about it: the change in weather, the preparations for the holidays, celebrating with family, the tradition of it all...and while I love tradition, I thrive on shaking things up a bit. Every now and then I have a light bulb moment and discover new twists on old traditions. Take the pumpkin, for example. Perfectly lovely in its simplicity. I love its shape, its smell, its color and its texture but if I see one more triangular face glowing in the night, so help me God, I might just squash it! While you don't have to pull a Martha Stewart and carve a relief map of south east Asia on your pumpkin, you can stray from the upside down triangular design at least once! Here are a few tricks to make yours a real treat!
OH PUNKIN!
My inner Martha likes to go a little nuts sometimes. Years ago my friend, Laine, hosted a pumpkin carving party and it was exciting to see what people came up with. Sadly, I simply turned my triangle eyes sideways and thought that was creative. Then I learned a few tips and have tried them from time to time. First, I enjoy opening the pumpkin from the BOTTOM, leaving the top for carving, etc. I've used small pumpkins as bowls for soup, I've used medium sized pumpkins as vases for flowers for a centerpiece (place a glass in the pumpkin for water and votive candles around the base of the glass to illuminate flowers). I've carved my initials and other comments for parties (men's room, bar, leave, etc.) , I've placed appetizers in small carved out gourds and pumpkins (dip, veggies, etc.), I've made pumpkins look like plastic surgery victims and I've left some untouched, simply spray painting interesting colors or adding glitter. The point...mix it up a bit! The example above takes small pumpkins, carves them out, places votive candles in each, carve an interesting circular pattern and hang with fishing wire (available at craft stores). People might think you've gone koo koo at first when they see pumpkins floating in your windows but chances are they, too, will have a light bulb moment!
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: 1 hour
COST: $15.00 for pumpkins and fishing wire
STRESS LEVEL: Seeing the light: LOW

Popular Posts