MANAGING DRAMA



The client above, a host for an entertainment radio show in LA, asked me to take her dim, dreary office and make it "warm, homey and fabulous" for the guests of her show. Then she delivered the dramatic twist: I had two days and less than $2,000.00 to pull it off! I've managed worse, I thought, but how would I create a fun space fit for a diva on a budget less than most lunches in LA? I did what any good designer would do..told her "no problem," kissed her on both cheeks, then stormed out to my car and began to cry. Thankfully, I managed to pull myself together (don't judge, but I had Dr. Laura's program on in the background as she screamed at someone who was being "overly dramatic"). I wanted this role, after all, so it was time to start playing the part!
MANAGE YOUR BUDGET:
One of my favorite ways to transform a room with little cash out of pocket: PAINT. So, I grabbed a couple gallons of Benjamin Moore's "Ocean Breeze" and "Indian Painting" and painted the walls. Then popped over to Urban Outfitters where I purchased dramatic, inexpensive sheets and wove them through the skylight (better lighting for some of the bigger diva's), draped them over a daybed I found on sale at West Elm ($299.99), bought a cheap curtain rod at Bed Bath and Beyond (and, to create the illusion of higher ceilings, hung the rod almost to the ceiling with longer curtains), purchased a mirror from Bombay Company for $79.00, a side chair at Pier 1 for $99.99 and splurged on down cushions in orange fabric from Ballard Designs for $179.99. So, you see, all that drama for nothing...I came in under budget and from the smiles on her face..and her guest..I'm assuming she liked it!
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: Two days
COST: Total $1,750.00
STRESS LEVEL: High Drama: Low

Popular Posts