HOTTER THAN DUTCH LOVE


Growing up, most of my summers were spent roaming the 80 acres my grandparents called home in west-central Michigan. Situated just south of who knows where and a few miles east of God knows what, my Grandfather (with help from my Uncles) built a cabin with blood, sweat and tears. The summers spent at the cabin was where I learned what family is all about..we played, we laughed, we cried, we came, we went but we always looked forward to returning. Looking back, I have a better understanding of how my mother does what she does...my Grandparents, whether entertaining for five or fifty, did it with grace and ease. I loved watching my Grandmother bake. She'd pop out to her garden, rip something out of the ground, come in and whip together a delicious dish..all with a smile on her face, a spring in her step and a giggle. In the sweltering mid-western humidity she'd often exclaim, "it's hotter than Dutch love!" I had no idea what that meant, until I met Joe. One of my favorite things to do in the kitchen with Joe is bake bread. Dean taught us how last summer. We've, in turn, taught my mother (February 1st blog entry). As summer approaches I look back on the fond memories of baking with my Grandmother in her kitchen. Today, I look forward to creating new memories...like baking bread with my Mother, Dean and Joe. One of the key ingredients? A HOT DUTCH OVEN!
DUTCH OVEN LOVE:
The bread recipe (scroll down..it's on here and it's very, very easy) calls for an incredibly hot (500 degree) Dutch oven. They range anywhere from $29.99 to over $200. Here are just a few of my favorites: Buy one..you'll love it, you'll use it and you'll have it forever!
Martha Stewart Collection at Macys (http://www.macys.com/) $69.99 (lid handle popped off after first bake but was replaced by Macy's. Joe LOVES it and uses it all the time!)
Lodge Dutch Oven at Wal Mart (http://www.walmart.com/) $38.00 (excellent, well made)
LE CREUSET at Williams Sonoma (http://www.williamsonoma.com/) $220-$260 (The Mercedes of Dutch Ovens)
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: Purchasing Dutch Oven: 30 minutes.
COST: Depends on which one you choose
STRESS LEVEL: Finding Dutch Love LOW

Popular Posts