HOME SWEET HOME


When I was a kid I begged my parents to buy me a trailer. I was fascinated with the idea of creating a miniature home away from home that I could take wherever I wanted to go. Needless to say, they didn't buy me one so I made my own out of a wardrobe box and radio flyer wagon. My fort on wheels included many comforts of home (I stocked it with blankets, toys and kool-aide). I even attempted to spend the night in it. That lasted one hour. While my definition of home has changed over the years, I've always considered "home" to be wherever my parents lived. In her "Barefoot Contessa at Home" cookbook, Ina Garten defines home as "wherever Jeffrey (her husband) is." Today I feel fortunate enough to call two places home...Rancho Mirage (my parents) and the other, wherever Joe is. This weekend we started talking about moving our home east. While we've worked tirelessly on the renovations to our place in Pasadena, we know wherever we land we can recreate what we have here. After all, many of the things I've documented here; setting the perfect table, preparing dinner for friends, baking a cake, painting a wall, planting a garden..are all things that make a house a home. So, here we are, facing one of our biggest tasks yet: moving our home across country. If only it were as easy as a wardrobe box and radio flyer wagon! We're making our list and attacking it one item at a time! So, if you're planning a move, check in with us as we plan ours. I'm sure it'll be an adventure. Monitor our progress at http://www.westmoveseast.blogspot.com/ (or click to the right under "links" on this page)
TIME TO COMPLETE PROJECT: Ten weeks and counting
COST: TBA
STRESS: TBA

Popular Posts