APPLE WHY?


NOT QUITE MOM'S APPLE PIE

I don't cook. I don't bake. I don't pretend to do either one. Until recently my refrigerator was used to store water, batteries and the occasional can of Diet Soda. I grew up watching my Mother effortlessly prepare fantastic meals and desserts, so why I didn't pick that talent right up and run with it, I'll never know. Joe, too, shares the culinary bug and loves, beyond my comprehension, nothing more than standing over a stove perfecting his bechamel sauce. His love of the gourmet side of life has rubbed off on me. So, I'm starting to attack cookbooks one page at a time. The last real stove I used was an Easy Bake Oven Santa brought me in 1982, so I'm basically starting from scratch. In other words, I won't attempt bouillabaisse just yet. Today, with CNN and the race for President humming in the background, I figured I'd try something as American as..well, Apple Pie. My photo doesn't do this one justice..it actually tastes pretty good!

HERE'S WHAT I DID:
1.) Purchased 2.5 pounds of Granny Smith Apples and store-bought pie crusts
2.) I like to prepare everything before I bake..kind of like my own Cooking Show...far too much time on my hands, indeed! So, I assembled all of the ingredients and jumped right in.

INGREDIENTS (according to the Gourmet Cookbook..something Joe bought a few weeks ago..LOVE IT..the book itself is beautifully laid out, well-written and easy to use)

3 tablespoons Flour

1 teaspoon lemon Zest (I grabbed one off our tree and used a cheese grater)

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

pinch salt

2/3 cup sugar plus 1 tablespoon to sprinkle on top of crust

2.5 pounds apples, peeled, cored and cut into 10 wedges

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1 egg

Okay, so that sounds like a lot but if I can do it ANYONE can!

Preheat your oven to 425 and place a cookie sheet on the middle rack (so drippings from pie don't stink up oven...I'm sure Ms. Stewart with have a better explanation but I couldn't get her on the phone). Whisk the above ingredients together in a bowl and add the apples rolling it all together with your hands. I placed one of the pre-made crusts on the bottom of the pie plate, added the apple mix and placed the other crust on top. I made three slits on the top and spread the egg yolk on top and sprinkled the remaining tablespoon of sugar over the top. Pop it in the oven (on the cookie sheet) and let it bake for 20 minutes, reduce heat to 375 and let bake for another 40 minutes (or until the crust is golden brown and bubbling..I actually went only 30 minutes). Let cool and serve.

TIME TO COMPLETE PROJECT: Prep: 10 minutes Baking: 60 minutes
COST: $8.00
STRESS LEVEL: Zero

Popular Posts