20/20 VISION



ADDITION AND SUBTRACTION: Most people I know think I'm a total nutball. When it comes to clients and my business, that wacky behavior often comes in handy! In this case, I designed an addition of a family room, bathroom, walk-in closet and study in Rancho Mirage. The homeowners had big plans for the addition. In the new family room, for example, they requested a wet bar with wine and beverage storage, a murphy bed for guests, built-ins to house a plasma TV, fireplace, access to the pool and backyard, new furniture and the ability to entertain during the day and close it off from the rest of the house at night to create a guestroom sanctuary. With that in mind, I set out to Home Depot to purchase a can of lawn spray paint. In my initial meeting (after we'd met with an architect and rough-sketched a floor plan) I spray painted the floor plan on the lawn EXACTLY where the addition would go. I brought in furniture to mimic where and what we could place in the space. This gave the homeowners a clearer vision of exactly what could fit, where. For a brief moment I believe the clients thought I should be put INTO a home, not working on one..but, in the end, everyone was happy and my crazy little routine paid off. So, if you're looking to add a family room or simply planning on purchasing new furniture for your existing space, measure it and play with it. Seeing, indeed, is believing.

HERE'S WHAT I DID:
1.) Headed to Home Depot and purchased lawn spray paint. ($7.00)
2.) Measured the area on the property where the addition was planned with doors, hallways, etc. and spray painted the ground to represent walls.
3.) Used old newspapers to cutout the dimensions of furniture
4.) SAT with the clients in the space to get a feel for it.
5.) Prayed it would all work in the end.
TIME TO COMPLETE PROJECT: 1 hour meeting. 9 months of construction
COST: $7.00/spraypaint ADDITION: More than the can of spray paint!
STRESS LEVEL: My left eye is still twitching from the experience but the clients are happy!

Popular Posts