PILLOW TALK


BEDROOM GLOOM:

When my friend, Michelle, approached me to help "fluff" her bedroom, I suggested a few twists on the typical bedroom decor. Why not, for example, hang a chandelier above her bed? It's unexpected, casts a beautiful light and adds an instant dramatic element. Also, I placed wallpaper on the wall behind her bed and painted the walls white, trim black and made all accents light blue and white. The result...a hotel-like, cozy bedroom she loves to spend time in. Her budget was a bit higher than most might have, so a few take-aways from this project:


1.) PAINT: Why is everyone so afraid of it? If you hate the color, change it!
2.) NEW CURTAINS: If you search, you will find...Target.com has GREAT, inexpensive curtains or, if IKEA is around the corner pick up curtains for under $10 a panel and, if they're too long, CUT THEM. No one will know the difference!
3.) If you like the chandelier look and can't afford to have an electrician install it, Ikea (and others, like WestElm.com) have plug-in chandeliers that bring the same dramatic edge!


INEXPENSIVE HEADBOARD: Michelle's bedroom is a perfect example of what I do best. I mix expensive pieces, often, with yard sale finds or, as in this case, I make them. The headboard was one piece of wood purchased at a Home Improvement store (I even had them cut it for me), painted and nailed above the bed as a floating headboard. It's dramatic, unexpected and CHEAP.
TIME TO COMPLETE PROJECT: Two hours
COST: $6.00 (for wood. I found paint in her cupboard)
STRESS LEVEL: What's to be stressed about?

Popular Posts