RESTORING MY FAITH IN HUMANITY

While living in Los Angeles I did one of the coolest things I've ever done on a Saturday...I helped build a house in South Central LA with a group of friends for Habitat for Humanity. I spent the better part of the day on a hot roof installing tiles (sure, I did it wrong for a few hours until a supervisor corrected me, but I learned a lot). At the end of our hard work day the family that would occupy the home dropped by to check out our progress and to thank us. I can honestly say it was one of the more humbling experiences I've ever had and gave me a new appreciation for how we see (and define) home.  More recently, a friend of mine who antiques, owns an estate sale business and, well, just loves a bargain, introduced me to ReStore, a chain of retail stores run by Habitat for Humanity. To my shock and surprise there were incredible items...from plumbing bits and pieces removed from homes to dining sets, lamps, plates, beds and bookshelves...all at incredible prices. Inventory rotates and refreshes constantly and proceeds benefit the incredible work of Habitat for Humanity. Google "ReStore Habitat for Humanity" and find your local store.  Have a cabin to fill, a room to re-design or a college dorm to make cozy? Pop into a ReStore and find something good while doing a little good!

Popular Posts