AQUA WITH ENVY

I would never post a shameless promotion for my book about vintage travel trailers, known for their classic aqua and white dressed walls, here..sure to be a pop culture HiT (Serro Scotty Travel Trailers by Paul Hecht on Amazon NOW), but while we are talking about falling in love with color...a client I met last year said she had fallen head over heals for, you guessed it, AQUA everything.  I warned her about going too gaga for aqua...I suggested maybe adding the color in a pillow here or one wall there, few lamps in the bedroom and maybe a throw on the fainting sofa in the living room..but committing to one color in your home, I explained to this diva, is like committing to one hair color for the rest of your life. GASP! This strong-headed (and multi-hair colored) lady wasn't having it, though.  She had to have EVERYTHING Aqua, so I granted her wishes and ten months into renovating her 5,500 square foot home head to toe-kick, she walked up to me today and said, "I think I'm hating the aqua now..totally over it, in fact.  I'm now in love with mauve."  After digging her hair out from under my fingernails a few hours ago, I called her and guided the lovely empress to an email I sent one year ago today.  It reads...
DO WE ENVY AQUA OR IS AQUA FULL OF ENVY?
Because I know you, I know I can be honest..one color for you, my love, is like one husband for the rest of your life.  Or one martini...just aint enough!  Committing to one color, in my opinion, means in one year you will want to break up with it, toss it in the Hudson River, forget its name forever and hate me for letting you do it.  Where you want to wallpaper your entire bedroom with aqua wallpaper, may I suggest only one wall? Where you want to paint your floors aqua in the dining room and add an aqua chandelier, may I suggest one or two accent chairs in aqua and everything pale grey or white?  When you said, "bitch I want everything in my bathroom AQUA" first, don't call me "bitch" and second, neutral tile colors and walls painted in aqua? Those things we can easily change in a year...and entire house..like a marriage..is far more complicated to dissolve.
forever yours in aqua hell....

Popular Posts