THE BEAUTY IN UGLY

Let's face it, we all have crap and eventually we all have to deal with it.  Whether you tuck it under your bed, stuff it into your already overstuffed attic, plop it in your garage or shove it into a dark corner of your basement, just like the baggage we carry in life, it's never going to go away until you face it.  I like to put mine in one organized, pretty place so I never wonder where things like light bulbs, wrapping paper or lotion stolen from a maids cart at a high-end NewYork hotel are located.  I find that metal shelves on wheels (found at just about every hardware store, Target, Walmart, etc.) are the best way to keep all of the bits and pieces of life sorted in one, clean location.  No matter what the shelves look like (I use red and green boxes for Christmas items, bright yellow bins for every day items, etc.) I can push them together, pull them apart, wheel them around and never lose track of my stuff!  For a recent staging job where the homeowners lived in the house while it was on the market, I assembled all essential items they'd need for living (extra sheets, towels, toiletries) in one area in their basement so the hall closets (off limits to the children while the house was on the market) could be staged to highlight the amount of storage space in the house). To camouflage my organized chaos, I pinned fabric to the end of each shelving unit, so when not in use the shelves linger in the corner like a beautiful piece of furniture.
QUICK TIP: Making shelf slip covers is easier than you think!  Because I only covered one side of these units, I draped one sheet over the side so I'd have a continuous pattern.  I cut according to the size of each shelf, attached with clothes pins and created the perfect mask for these hidden treasures!

Popular Posts