Enter, Stage Right


I know I've mentioned this before, so my apologies for beating a dead donkey, but a slumped market calls for innovative ways to keep certain freelance careers afloat. Take interior design, for example. Five years ago I had clients in Los Angeles requesting fabric samples for $15,000 sofas. Three years ago I designed a $5,000 daybed for a teenager in Manhattan. Today pockets aren't nearly as deep, purse strings are much tighter and design budgets are as shallow as a politician in Washington. After years of wild success and brief lulls, performers like Cher and Madonna went on "Reinvention Tours" to cater to new, younger audiences. In the same vein, I've had to adjust my business to meet with current market needs, which in this drab real estate market means I'm doing less interior design and more staging. Work is work, though, and what I've found in staging homes are principles that easily translate to anyone looking to spruce up their space with little or no money. Take this rustic Adirondack cabin I've staged this week. When I asked the owner what his budget was he replied with a short, yet honest, "little to nothing," so I took it in stride and hit the ground running. Why stage a space, you might ask? If you have a small or incredibly large space, more often than not it's difficult for a potential buyer to visualize how they might use it. We've all walked into model homes which most likely would never catch our glance, but once inside the clean, new, beautifully decorated home we fall in love. Most model homes spend thousands and thousands of dollars to dress the models, where Mr. and Mrs. Everyday have pennies. So this week I approached this job as if I was designing on my budget. That budget is about $65. Luckily this homeowner had gorgeous, mid-century furniture so I got off to a good start. When all is tallied up in the room you see, the value is $27,500 (not including the artwork). Can you guess which pieces I bought? I spent a total of $64! Perched on the 1960's $12,000 sofa are two throw pillows from Ikea ($9/each) that match (and I hate when accessories match artwork) the original Klimt painting above the fireplace (of undisclosed value). The Philipe Stark nesting tables sit on a $10 rug from Home Goods and resting on top of the tables are three vases from Ikea for $15. Finally, above the sofa is a vintage floral print I found at a local tag sale for $5. I believe this proves that you truly can have champagne taste on a boxed wine income!
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: Three hours
COST: All accessories purchased at Ikea and Home Goods for under $65
STRESS LEVEL: Setting the stage for a good sale: LOW

Popular Posts