VOTIVE WITH A MOTIVE


In the Northeast it seems like we've gone right from the cold, dreary days of winter to the wet, soggy days of spring. When the weather doesn't cooperate, it's hard to motivate, but I get through it by looking forward to the sunny, warm days of summer. My collections vary from yellow ware bowls and fiestaware to melamine plates and vintage Christmas ornaments. Now I've adopted a new obsession and admiration for jars of various sizes and shapes. Everything from jam jars to old mason jars, their simplicity and universal design make them useful pieces in anyones home. For example, last summer I made vases out of various sized jars and placed them on an outdoor table, filled others with spices, put water and food coloring in mason jars for a fun fourth of July centerpiece and this year I've decided to make votives out of a collection of mason jars we found in our garage in Pasadena. While any paint will do, Lowe's sells paint specifically for painting glass, but I just use any old can I have around. So, here's all you have to do to create cool lighting for hot summer days. I pour a small amount of paint in the jar, rotate it around and place the jar upside down for several hours. Once the paint has thoroughly dried, stick a votive in and enjoy. If you want hanging votives, I loop fishing wire around the neck of the bottle (or picture hanging wire).
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: Five minutes to make, two hours to dry. Use this same technique for vases only use GLOSS paint.
COST: If you use bottles around your house and paint you've already got, ZERO. Interesting bottles and jars can be found at antique stores for pennies.
STRESS LEVEL: Finding a way to motivate on a gloomy day: LOW

Popular Posts