MODERN SAVING



I was in Palm Springs recently touring a modern day version of a mid-century modern home. Mid Century everything is HUGE in Palm Springs, where the brat pack introduced us all to the open air, clean, simple, chic styles that float along the desert scape like a well-choreographed dance. Model home after model home was filled with over-stuffed furniture, wooden giraffes, loud colors splish splashed on every wall, mono-chromatic carpet colors and fake plants. To the designer of these spaces I would say only this; you just don't get it! Clean, simple design, in my opinion, does not include wooden versions of ANY animal, carpet or fake plants...and that's just a start. After I left the modern development I felt like an old fart, until a friend asked me for advice on staging their modern home for the real estate market. Take a look at these two lovely lamps, both considered "vintage modern". One is priced at $2,696.00 from Design Within Reach while the other is a cool $149.00 from Overstock.com. Now, I wouldn't ever suggested decorating your space, modern or otherwise, with nothing but inexpensive pieces from stores like Overstock, but when it comes to pulling off a vintage look without paying modern prices, I say, why the hell not?
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: Overstock.com can ship overnight for a tiny fee or seven days for $3
COST: The lamp with the smaller base is from overstock.com and sells for $149.99
STRESS LEVEL: Shining the light on a good deal: LOW

Popular Posts