HUNTERS & GATHERERS

This morning was a crisp 35 degrees when I headed out for my morning walk with our dogs through the woods behind our house. It was a typical walk...Canyon was chasing birds and squirrels, Bones was fascinated by the scent of urine on every single leaf we passed and I admired how incredibly gorgeous this part of the country is. As we approached the reservoir about a half mile from our house I thought it was odd, on a relatively calm day, for an enormous bush to be moving as fiercely as it was. Then that bush announced, "you should buy something orange, my son." So, it's hunting season and where are most overweight beer-guzzling bush-voters? They're dressed as bushes hiding in the freezing cold woods waiting to kill Bambi. After the kill, they'll take the head, stuff it and mount it to a basement wall. Now that's fine design!! (I mean no disrespect, of course, to my incredibly fit, loving family members who've been known to hunt from time to time.) As I headed back down the hill, grateful that the giant bush didn't shoot me or the puppies, I thought to myself, "where in the hell am I going to find something fashionably orange?" As I set out to hunt for orange clothes I popped into the only other place with an abundance of orange..the Home Depot. As the season approaches where family and friends gather, I'm always on the hunt for cool gift ideas and there it was, hidden under a camouflage display, wallpaper samples for $.99/each. My thoughts quickly shifted from how to survive in the woods behind our house to how to survive the holidays without killing my credit. Wallpaper samples can easily become unique, wonderful gifts. Purchase inexpensive frames from Ikea or Target, frame them and give as artwork. Laminate them (Staples, Office Max and many others will do this for you) and create interesting place mats for a housewarming holiday party. Spray them with craft spray (available at craft stores) and wrap them around old lamp shades to spruce them up or purchase a few pieces and wrap your holiday gifts in hip, unique paper. Who knew fun tips would be hiding in a sea of orange and camouflage?

TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: 2 days for shipping.
COST: $.99/ each for an 8x10" sample of wallpaper at www.homedepot.com
STRESS LEVEL: Discovering a killer idea: LOW

Popular Posts