RUG DOCTOR

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that while we live an hour from the fashion and design mecca of Manhattan and are surrounded by antique shops where Martha Stewart finds inspiration, I continue to head to my favorite slice of Scandinavian heaven...located 35 miles away in Paramus, New Jersey...for my design treasures. While some New York designers shop on the corner of snotty and over-priced, I sashay through the aisles of Ikea where I'm always pleased to find something nice. Last week I found myself shopping for a client who was in dire need of therapy after her cats ripped apart an antique rug worth thousands of dollars. Before sending her to a shrink, I told her to let her design doctor take over. Here's a little tip...if you have pets, children, spouses with bladder control issues...don't put expensive rugs in high traffic areas. Instead, purchase inexpensive area rugs and scatter them around where little droppings are usually found. Ikea has an incredible sale this month on 5x7, well-made rugs for $39! 4x7 are only $29! The rugs are made of wool/cotton, are comfortable on the feet and if you have to replace them in a year, they're cheaper than a bed sheet!
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: If you shop at Ikea on a weekend you'll never want to go back. Hit the store when it opens during the week or thirty minutes before closing and you'll get in and out with no problem!
COST: $39.99 for the Hova 5x7 rug (also comes in Choc Brown and smaller for $29) at Ikea.
STRESS LEVEL: Feeling no pain if the dogs pee on this one: LOW

Popular Posts