CHILI NIGHTS


I hate to admit that a year ago my process of preparing homemade chili involved a can opener and microwave. I was so proud of myself when I advanced to fresh meat and packaged chili seasonings! I should have known something was wrong the first time I made it for Joe and secretly dumped the packet of seasonings into a bowl, pretending that I'd actually done it myself. I was a liar, a cheat, a faker. I don't think Joe bought it, though...needless to say, we never prepared that chili ever again. Thanks to an easy, healthy recipe I found in THE JOY OF COOKING I don't have to fake it anymore!
HERE'S HOW TO BEAT THE CHILL:
1.) 3 pounds of beef
2.) salt to taste
3.) Olive oil
4.) 2 Large Onions, minced
5.) 10 cloves of garlic, minced
6.) 7 fresh jalapeno peppers, stemmed, seeded and minced (be careful, seeds can burn skin)
7.) one 28 ounce can of plum tomatoes, with juice
8.) 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
9.) 4 cups water
10.) Chili powder (you can use store bought or mix: 5 tablespoons ground chili peppers, 2 tablespoons dried oregano, 1.5 tablespoons ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper)
Brown the beef and place in dutch oven.
With olive oil (1 tablespoon) cook peppers, onions, garlic over medium heat. Add to beef. Add chili powder, tomatoes and water. Simmer without lid for 1.5 hours. Add salt to taste.
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: 1 hour, 45 minutes
COST: $7.00
STRESS LEVEL: keeping warm on a cold night, LOW

Popular Posts