CEDAR SHAKES



SHAKE YOUR GROOVE THING:
This project seemed a bit daunting to me. The upstairs addition on our 1920's Bungalow needed finishing touches to the exterior. With the rains of winter staring down on us, we decided it was time to attack this task head-on. My partner, Joe, suggested we purchase "Cedar Shakes." I, of course, thought he was talking about an organic beverage! Little did I know I'd need something a little stronger than a shake to get me through this one! Upon further investigation (I googled "Cedar Shakes") I gathered interesting information about the charming cedar shingles. In the state of California cedar shakes are illegal to use as roof tiles but can be installed as siding. I found a great company in the Los Angeles area that offered "treated" and "non-treated" shakes. For a few pennies more it was worth it to get the "treated" as they're both fire and weather proof.
STILL SHAKING:
So, Joe was right. The cedar shakes, I think, look fantastic. We paid roughly $1,300.00 to cover the 375 square foot addition. In time (with weather) the shakes will eventually grey and blend beautifully with the rest of the house. In addition to the shakes I purchased Tivec to staple directly to the plywood and we individually nailed EVERY SINGLE shingle. To access the second floor without trouble (or breaking anything around or on our bodies) I rented scaffolding from a local stock yard (Home improvement stores rent scaffolding weekly fairly inexpensively..while you've got it, clean out your gutters for the rainy season or touch up paint spots in hard to reach areas!!). The REAL LIFE work that went into this project:
1) ONE WEEK PRIOR: I ordered Scaffolding and Cedar Shakes, purchased Tivec and nails
2) Set up Scaffolding (it looked like a pile of Lincoln logs but was incredibly easy to set up!)
3) Nail-Gun Tivec to Plywood (basically like wrapping a giant sheet around the exterior of the area to be covered by the shakes)
4) Nail shakes to tivec starting at bottom, working our way up.
TIME TO COMPLETE PROJECT: 3 Days
COST: Approx. $1,500.00
STRESS LEVEL: Moderate

Popular Posts